Monday, October 8, 2012

Online Identity

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I am posting again tonight. As noted previously, I am seriously behind in this online journals so I have to get busy! During week 3, our readings focused on online identity issues relating to today's digital youth.  However, many adults are not as tech savvy as kids and we need to have a good understanding of how to control our own online identity.  I am absolutely including myself in this group of adults even though I am in an educational technology program.

Controlling your online identity is not an easy task.  Friends (or enemies) can post pictures on social networks that might not portray you in the most flattering light. Photos and videos that were meant to be private can become extremely public (just ask Kim Karadashian). Your online identity can be stolen and your good name can be run through the online mud.  Top that off with having to evaluate other people's online identities and you have quite a job to do.

Many adults use Facebook but setting your privacy settings takes a little time and effort.  I found this fantastic video by Renia Carsillo that goes through the privacy settings in a way that even my mom could understand and its even a tad bit entertaining.  I seriously learned a lot from this video and it is safe to say that I will be logging into Facebook tonight and changing my settings. I love how Renia explains the custom controls.  I have messed around with these a little but I seriously need to use this setting more.

 Is this a video I would show a group of elementary students? Probably not.  Would I share this with my museum staff? Absolutely.  I think that many of us just become complacent and forget about cultivating the proper online identity until its too late.  So, I challenge everyone who reads this post (and I know there are hundreds) to set aside a few minutes and just work on your Facebook identity whether it be through privacy settings or simply cleaning up any posts that you don't want the world to see. Then you can move onto all those other social networks.  





No comments:

Post a Comment